Tuesday 22 October 2013

Questions and Answers

It's been over a year since we have been back from Uganda and although I haven't been posting my thoughts and what God's been doing in my heart and in my life doesn't mean I haven't been writing. So here it is, finally! As promised a Questions and answer blog...It took so long as I found it really hard to put into words the answers to questions asked. Sometimes words aren't enough. Enjoy!



What is the most valuable lesson you learnt in Uganda? 

I learnt that God doesn't want product. It's not all about what I was "achieving" or "doing" but all He wants from me is my heart. From that flows all the things that people expect your doing on the field. I couldn't love on people if I wasn't receiving God's love on a daily basis. Everything we were involved with in Uganda was about loving and in the beginning I got this all wrong. I had to stop and give my heart to God on a daily basis. By doing this I felt God's heart and when you feel God's heart it changes everything. I fell more in love with Him than ever before. That's all God wanted and required from me from the beginning, to love Him more and more everyday. By falling more in love with Jesus I slowly knew more of His love and from this came the love needed to do what God sent me to Uganda to do. 

Your most treasured moment/incident? 
A little girl learnt how to say "I love you" and she would say it to me all the time. She literally melted my heart every time she said "Emma I love you"




"Emma I love you!"


Another moment that melted both Will and I's hearts was when two young workers from Jordan House took us out for a farewell meal. We had no idea as it was a surprise and we were so humbled as the meals would have cost almost half a months wage for them both. They completely blessed us, more than they will ever know. It brought tears to my eyes with their massive hearts and spirits. 


 Our surprise farewell meal with Douglas and William 

Most depressing/sad moment?
A young girl came to Jordan House needing help. She had been raped and just found out she was pregnant. She was unsure about her HIV status so we went to get her tested. The test came back positive. I remember sitting with this young girl and crying and crying and crying. I went home and cried all night on my bed, I didn't know what else to do as rape and HIV was all too common. God had broken my heart into pieces.

Something you will miss most?
I miss living simply. 
No electricity half the time. No hot water. No TV. 
Simplicity brought with it intimacy. Intimacy with God. Intimacy with Will. 
No distractions. 
I really really really miss this!

Something you really won't miss?
A Ugandan staple meal called "Posho" (millet flour ground up, mixed with water and cooked) Let's just say it tasted like glue. 

The traffic. Picture a capital city full of cars, boda boda's/motorbikes (I may or may not have drove straight over the top of one while it was moving) buses, pedestrians using the road as a footpath and walking straight in front of on coming traffic (I may have also hit a pedestrian) 

Are there any changes in action or thought that will impact or change the way you live your life once you return to Australia? 

I'm a lot more gracious towards others and not so judgemental towards people in church. This was something that I had a big problem with before I left and God sorted that out while in Uganda.  

How are you a different person from when you left and how are you the same?
In some ways it's hard to answer "how am I different?" as it's little things that happen that I look back and see I dealt with it different than before I left for Uganda. But at the same time I know I'm different. The way I carry myself is even different I don't feel like I put up a guard, like I did before. I guess this is because while in Uganda God broke them down and showed me who He created me to be. He created me without limit, borders, masks, barriers. After this revelation it changed how I go about life on a daily basis. I feel free. 

I'm the same Emma but more of who God breathed life into and less of the rubbish that I filled it with. Emptying this gunk out is an ongoing process till the day I die but Uganda was defiantly God's tool for filtering out so much that was holding me back. Living within the invisible borders of what I thought was my life, staying there getting stale and dried out like a piece of bread left out that was once fresh. 


How has being over there impacted you life at such a young age?
I don't know the full extend as to how it has impacted me but experiencing Uganda has defiantly reinforced the feeling that I have always felt. Feeling a little left out. In a good way. It's reinforced that I'm called else where to give more and  love more. It's also changed the way we bring up Gracie. 

What was it that most touched you heart while over there?
Our last Sunday at Jordan House church a young girl was attending, I had never seen her before. She was about 13 years old. In the middle of worship, God prompted me to turn around, when I did I seen this girl, worshipping God with all she had. Tears streaming down her face, completely undone by the presence of her Father. I felt the Holy Spirit say "Go hold her hand" I did without thinking twice. Her eyes remained shut focused on her creator but she weeped even more. We both stood there tears streaming down our faces, I felt God literally upon us. I felt the tears that we were releasing were no other than God's. 

I don't know this young girls story nor do I know her name but God knew. He meet her where she was in the slum of Uganda. In the midst of poverty, disease, brokenness, hopelessness, God was bringing exactly what this young girl needed. His presence to fill her and bring hope, restoration, peace, healing and love.


I came away from our last day at Jordan House completely overwhelmed by how BIG our God is, so overwhelmed that I couldn't even fathom it. I was challenged to always see God as I did this very day. It was so easy and still can be to get caught up in what's wrong with the world not to see God moving in ways that are tailored to the individual. A God that knows us so well that He pours Himself out on us exactly how we need Him to but so very different to our neighbour, sister or friend. 


This is my most treasured moment in Uganda. So simple but this encounter with God changed and challenged me for the rest of my life. 





The beautiful girl with her Mum and Brother. 

Can you share times where you know God came through for you in time of need and provision?
There was one in particular moment that God showed up BIG time. I can't go into detail for many reasons but we had nothing else in a situation but God and we witnessed first hand how faithful our God is. It blew us away and was the pivotal moment of our time in Uganda. 


Share about the lonely times and how you coped?
Loneliness can seriously send you insane, sometimes I honestly felt I was almost there...insane. Especially in the first 3 months. It was during these three months that I felt the most alone, I hadn't made friends yet with people outside of Jordan House, Operation Uganda and our housemate. If anyone knows me well, I need my friends around me, I think any girl does!!! 

Despite these feelings of lonliness and homesickness I had Will and I learnt to lean on him more than normal and our relationship become stronger over the year. Will knew when homesickness was about to get the better of me (and it's not pretty) and he would do things with me to take my mind of it, cheer me up, help put things back in perspective and get me focused again why we were there. 


Although my feelings of loliness were real and it felt like a rollercoaster, some days were great and then the next I could be crying all day, I knew for certain one thing that was constant. Jesus. I would be reminded about how lonely He would have felt before being crucified on the cross. He turned to His father for comfort and this is where I also found peace and reassurance. 


It took us a few months but we found a church that we loved and made good friends with people there.  The church was such a blessing to us spiritually, mentally and emotionally. I was able to confined in the leadership of the church about how I was struggling and they prayed and offered support, sometimes they just listened, which is just what I needed. 


It was in these lonely times that I felt God closer than ever before despite how I was feeling. He would always whisper little gems to me that lifted my spirit. 



A moment you will never forget?
There were many moments and most of them were so simple but they impacted the most:

When we arrived at Jordan House every morning the kids yelling out "Emma" "William" and running after our car.

Paying the Woman Empowerment ladies their monthly wage. Knowing that they hard worked hard producing stock and now they had money to provide for their family. Their eyes would light up and I could see that they were proud of themselves. 

When ladies in the Woman Empowerment program came up with new concepts and designs. We couldn't always buy the products off of them but I was so proud when I would hear they didn't give up, they went somewhere else and someone else bought their new product. 

Seeing the Woman Empowerment ladies improve.

The list could go on and on but it's these little moments that will always be cherished. 





Love Emma 

xoxo







No comments:

Post a Comment